Sunday, November 2, 2014

Eatin Rainbow Stew - My Spicy Sausage Tortelini Soup Recipe

"Eatin' Rainbow Stew in a silver spoon, underneath that sky of blue ..."
A little music to cook by ;)
Doesn't that song just make you smile!  This is a recipe concoction that came together last winter.  Great for days when there is a chill in the air.  First recipe was made with random leftovers from fridge and I spent the next 3 times trying to re-create it. 

Rainbow Stew ~ My Spicy Tortelini Soup

Ingredients:
1 package Pork Sausage, well browned ( I used Jimmy Dean, regular)
1 brick cream cheese (cubed)
1 Jalepeno Pepper (Finely Chopped, I used a hand crank chopper from Tupperware)
http://order.tupperware.com/coe/app/tup_show_item.show_item_detail?fv_item_category_code=10004&fv_item_number=P10113229000
(Omit if you don't like spicy flavor)
1-2 cups Fresh Spinach chopped (I grabbed a large handful)
1-2 cups frozen brocolli ( you guessed it...I just eye balled it ;) )
1-2 of carrot slices (honestly I forgot to put these in this batch, they will take longer to cook too)
1-2 Cups fresh sliced mushrooms (Yes, I pretty much use what is in the fridge ;)
2 small cans of tomato paste ( I was out so used 1/2 can of spaghetti sauce)
Couple shakes of Garlic Powder
Couple Shakes of Onion Powder
1 box Rainbow Tortellini Noodles ( this is the one this I recommend not substituting, they don't have to be colored but other noodles I tried just weren't as good)
2 cups Chicken Broth
2 cups Beef Broth
2 Cups Water (Soup tends to cook down & I always seem to be trying to stretch it to a few more guests that show up.  Just add to consistency you like)

As you can already tell, recipe is pretty flexible.  You can make it in a crock pot or a pot on stove.  I use the stove method when I'm making a batch bigger than my crock pot.
Directions:
Brown sausage (drain fat) .
Combine cooked sausage and all ingredients except noodles. 
(Cook time will be longer if using frozen brocolli & spinach)
Simmer  for 30 minutes to an hour
Add Noodles & cook for another hour
Cooking slow helps the flavors to soak into everything



Scoop into your favorite cup or bowl.  Top with freshly grated Ballard's Parmaromao Cheese!
Serve and enjoy!!!
(Click here to learn more about Ballard Cheese: http://rodeotalesgypsytrails.blogspot.com/2014/06/say-cheese-ballard-cheese.html

Thank You so much for stopping by the Rodeo Tales and Gypsy Trails!
See you again soon,
Mindy
Rodeo Tales & Gypsy Trails
is proudly brought to you by
Visit us ONLINE!!


No comments:

Post a Comment