Friday, October 8, 2010

If I Die Young - Remembering the 2010 Eric Hoggan Memorial Rodeo

Thank the Lord for what he gave you,
what he took away, and all he left you
.
unknown



A reverent silence fills the air as 2 young sisters enter the arena. One is leading their oldest sister’s , Mabry’s, riderless horse. Next their young cousin enters the arena. He is walking on foot and leading his big sister’s horse, Loren’s empty saddle and her favorite cowboy hat hanging from the horn. The announcer begins to tell about why we are gathered there today.

This is gives you an idea of what was said:

Erickson Jay Hoggan (Spike) was a brother, son, grandson, and friend. He was fun, talented, and never lacked for excitement. Spike was a hand. He was known across the rodeo world for his roping skills in the arena. Still to this day I have people stop to tell me stories about him roping & dragging big bulls out of the arena and how he always impressed them.

15 years ago my little brother was taken from this earth. The loss of a loved one is something that changes you for life & a little piece of you will always be missing. It is also one of this world’s biggest blessings. It is a wakeup call for those who remain behind to pick up the pieces. It is a reminder of how precious TIME is! How valuable the friendships and relationships we cultivate are. Be kinder than nessicary. Take the time to help someone. No one promised you a tomorrow so make the most of today!

Dubois, ID had a fall rodeo & 15 years ago it became the Eric Hoggan Memorial Rodeo, the fall Eric passed away. It's origin was a benefit rodeo. Now 15 years later, it continues on as a tribute to those who have gone before us & a fund raiser to help those in need.

A day that we come together from a loss, united as a community and rodeo family to have fun & help one another. A day to smile, laugh, rejoice, and remember loved ones watching out for us from up above...but ALSO to cherish & strengthen everyone gathered with us today & take advantage of the time we have right now!

In those 15 years, many other loved ones have passed on. Grandpa Carl Hoggan, Marc Telford, Ginger Berrett, Christy Berrett, Colton Clapp and Spank Martiny are just a few that press heavy on my heart. It is different for everyone but the feelings remain the same. Now Loren Johnson & Mabry Neville will be added to the list that will forever be missed. What a blessing to have known such wonderful people. The smiles they shared will forever be cherished!

The Eric Hoggan Memorial isn't just about one man that was taken from us at a young age....this event is now an ongoing community event that pulls a community together, revently reminds us how precious life is, and encourages us to come together to help one another!

Mandy Schofield Photography ~ All rights resevered

Loren Johnson & Mabry Neville were two beautiful, talented, & kind young woman that were taken from this world early in their young lives. They were both hard working and had a great passion for life and everything they were involved in from the rodeo area to the helping cowboy in Kilgore. They will be greatly missed by everyone that had every seen their beaming smiles, even once!

Mandy Schofield Photography ~ All rights resevered

Mandy Schofield Photography ~ All rights resevered


The song “If I Die Young” by the Band Perry starts to play….

“If I die young bury me in satin
Lay me down on a bed of roses
Sink me in the river at dawn
Send me away with the words of a love song
oh oh oh oh

Lord make me a rainbow, I’ll shine down on my mother
She'll know I’m safe with you when she stands under my colors, oh and
Life ain't always what you think it ought to be, no
ain't even grey, but she buries her baby

The sharp knife of a short life, well
I’ve had just enough time

If I die young bury me in satin
Lay me down on a bed of roses
Sink me in the river at dawn
Send me away with the words of a love song

The sharp knife of a short life, well
I’ve had just enough time

And I’ll be wearing white when I come into your kingdom
I’m as green as the ring on my little cold finger
I’ve never known the lovin' of a man
But it sure felt nice when he was holding my hand
There’s a boy here in town says he’ll love me forever
Who would have thought forever could be severed by

The sharp knife of a short life, well
I’ve had just enough time

So put on your best boys and I’ll wear my pearls
What I never did is done

A penny for my thoughts, oh no I’ll sell them for a dollar
They're worth so much more after I’m a goner
And maybe then you’ll hear the words I been singin’
Funny when you're dead how people start listenin’

If I die young bury me in satin
Lay me down on a bed of roses
Sink me in the river at dawn
Send me away with the words of a love song
oh oh

The ballad of a dove
Go with peace and love
Gather up your tears, keep ‘em in your pocket
Save them for a time when your really gonna need 'em oh

The sharp knife of a short life, well
I’ve had just enough time

So put on your best boys and I’ll wear my pearls”

Mandy Schofield Photography ~ All rights resevered

Later, Grandfather to both Mabry & Loren, Pete McGarry enters the arena packing the American flag for the national athem. This song was played at the girls funeral services. They were often in charge of the grand entry & packing the flag for the national anthem at many near by rodeos.

Mandy Schofield Photography ~ All rights resevered

Mandy Schofield Photography ~ All rights resevered

Many tear drops hit the planks of the olden wooden chutes that day at Dubois.

I have been putting off writing about this for about a month now. Just couldn't bring myself to do it I guess. Forgive me for not being able to convey the emotion felt at the rodeo grounds that day but I hope I've given you a small glimpse of the spirit that was there.

THANK YOU to everyone who donated their time, talents, auction items

THANK YOU to each and every person who made this the best Eric Hoggan Memorial ever! We are blessed with beautiful weather and being surrounded by friends & family for a good cause!

Thank you to everyone who donated their TIME, donated auction items, helped with the rodeo, enjoyed the steak dinner, helped with the rodeo, donated the stock, rodeoed or just took the time to spend the day with us!

A special Thank You to Mandy Schofield for the use of her photos in this blog.

My cup runneth over!

THANK YOU!


To see more picture you can join us on facebook:
Eric Hoggan Memorial Rodeo

Rodeo Tales & Gypsy Trails
is proudly brought to you by
Lil' Red Roan
Carrying fine Pendleton Blankets

Stoecklein Book Collection


1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing on such a difficult subject, brought tears to my eyes.

    ReplyDelete